U.S. media is reporting that the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood has condemned the Boston Marathon bombings while at the same time suggesting that they were part of a conspiracy directed at Muslims. According to an Associated Press report:
Associated Press, Published: April 16 CAIRO — Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood condemned the Boston Marathon bombings Tuesday, but a senior member of the group painted them as part of a conspiracy aimed at undermining Muslims’ moves toward democracy.
In a statement by the Brotherhood’s political arm, the Freedom and Justice party, the group said Islamic law, or Shariah, does not condone violence against civilians, and expressed condolences to the American people and families of the victims.
The party also said that Islamic law ‘firmly rejects assaults on civilians and doesn’t accept any means of terrorizing people, regardless of their religion, color, or gender.’ ‘
The sinful assaults in Boston ascertain the necessity of solidarity of the international community in efforts to achieve justice and well-being for all nations and communities, and to ensure that these crimes don’t take place again,’ the statement said.
The office of President Mohammed Morsi, who hails from the Brotherhood, also condemned the bombings, calling them ‘criminal’ and expressing solidarity with the families of the victims. However, in a separate statement, a senior member of the group said the condemnation of the ‘criminal act’ should not stop the interpretation of the ‘grave incident’ as a conspiracy. Essam el-Erian, deputy leader of the Freedom and Justice Party, said the Boston bombings were one of a number of events aimed at fueling violence and feeding fear of Muslims.
Read the rest here.
Given the widespread belief in conspiracy theories involving Jews that permeates the Global Muslim Brotherhood, it is likely that El-Erian was implying that the bombings were somehow part of a “Zionist conspiracy.”
In September, Secure America Now (SAN) released a report called “The Truth about Mohammed Morsi” which detailed extremist statements as well as other information about the Egyptian president. The report begins with an introduction summarizing Dr. Morsi’s statements statements and views:
- “Resistance is the correct and only way to free the land from the filth of the Jews”
- His words are reflective of his contempt for Jews, The United States, and the State of Israel.
- Dr. Morsi joined the Muslim Brotherhood while living in the United States
- Two of his sons were arrested at anti-Israel, anti-United States demonstrations in Egypt
- Dr. Morsi has repeatedly denounced Egypt’s treaty with Israel.
- Dr. Morsi is an unabashed supporter of Hamas
- Dr. Morsi believes the 9/11 terrorists have not been identified.
- Dr. Morsi has repeatedly defended the Sudanese President al-Bashir who has committed genocide against the people in Darfur.
- Dr. Morsi has pledged to work for the release of Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman, a militant Islamist preacher imprisoned in the United States for planning the 1993 World Trade Center bombing
The SAN report says that in 2004, Dr. Morsi said that the “Quran has established that the Jews are the ones in the highest degree of enmity towards Muslims” and that “there is no peace with the descendants of the apes and pigs”.
Read the rest here.