Malaysian media is reporting on political advice offered to the country’s Muslim Brotherhood linked political party by Kuwaiti Muslim Brotherhood leader Tariq Suwaidan. According to the Malaysian Insider report:
October 19, 2014 PAS’s ‘tahaluf siyasi’ (political cooperation) with other political parties in the country is the only logical way for the Islamist party to one day govern Malaysia, says Kuwait’s Muslim Brotherhood leader, Dr Tareq Suwaidan.
Tareq said only by working together with other Pakatan Rakyat component parties would PAS be able to add more seats in the Parliament and thus win an election.
‘In the Malaysian context of multi-ethnic and multi-religious background, it is impossible for PAS to win the election on its own,’ he told a forum organised by PAS international committee last night.
‘To win a parliamentary seat in Malaysia, cooperation is the only key to win.
‘Unless Malaysia changes its demographic structure, this is it, the only logical way,’ he said.
Tareq said the relationship forged within the coalition should be for the long term.
‘Everyone has to agree on something because there is a long-term goal.
‘Whether you do this right now or not at all,’ he said.
Read the rest here.
In February 2013, the GMBDW reported on an Al-Jazeera article titled “The rising force in Malaysia’s opposition” that looked as the growing importance of the Islamist Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), a group said to be “inspired” by the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood. In May, the GMBDW reported on a picture of UK Brotherhood leader Anas Altikriti posing together with the PAS Youth Chief. The PAS received 14.77% of the vote in the 2013 general election, obtaining two seats in the parliament.
Tariq Suwaidan is one of the most important leaders of the Kuwait Brotherhood as well as the former General Manager of Al-Resalah Satellite TV, the brainchild of Saudi businessman Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal. In May 2007, Suwaidan was listed by federal prosecutors in a group of U.S Muslim Brotherhood members named as part of a large group of Unindicted Co-Conspirators in the terrorism financing case against the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development, convicted of providing funds for Hamas. Suwaidan is also the author of the anti-Semitic “Encyclopedia of Jews.” Other GMBDW coverage of Suwaidan has included:
- We reported in July 2014 that Suwaidan had given an address in which he urged that Muslims develop a plan “to wipe out Israel” and that all Muslim mothers “should suckle their babies on the hatred of the sons of Zion.”
- We reported in October 2013 that Suwaidan had been barred from entering Saudi Arabia where he planned to go on Umrah (lesser pilgrimage).
- In August 2013, we reported that Suwaidan had been removed as head of the Al-Resalah TV channel by Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal as a result of his role in the Muslim Brotherhood.
- In April 2012, we reported that Suwaidan gave a TV interview in which he made various anti-Semitic comments and said that the most dangerous thing facing Muslims is not dictatorships but Jews whom he calls “the greatest enemy.”
- In January 2009, we reported on the struggle for control over Suwaidan’s Wikipedia page and the issue of whether or not he was part of the Muslim Brotherhood in Kuwait.
MEMRI has published a profile of Suwaidan detailing some of his extremist views.
Earlier this month we reported that Suwaidan had been invited to be a speaker at a Muslim Fair in Brussels in November.