The UAE has announced that it has approved a list of designated terrorist organisations that includes not only groups such as Al Qaeda, Boko Haram and ISIS but also a large number of European and US groups that are part of the Global Muslim Brotherhood. According to the announcement by the official state news agency:
November 15th (WAM) — The UAE Cabinet has approved a list of designated terrorist organisations and groups in implementation of Federal Law No. 7 for 2014 on combating terrorist crimes, issued by President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, and the Cabinet’s own resolution on the designation of terrorist organisations that provided for the publication of the lists in the media for the purposes of transparency and to raise awareness in society about these organisations.
The following is the list of organisations designated as terrorist that has been approved by the Cabinet:
In addition to the Muslim Brotherhood in the UAE, the announcement goes on to identify a group of European and US organizations that have also been identified by the GMBDW as part of the Global Muslim Brotherhood:
- Finnish Islamic Association (Suomen Islam-seurakunta)
- Muslim Association of Sweden (Sveriges muslimska forbund, SMF)
- Cordoba Foundation (TCF) in Britain.
- Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) of the Global Muslim Brotherhood.
- Muslim American Society (MAS)
- Union of Islamic Organisations of France (L’Union des Organisations Islamiques de France, UOIF)
- League of Muslims in Belgium (La Ligue des Musulmans de Belgique, LMB)
While there are some curious omissions, the designations represent a bold step by the UAE to broaden its fight against the Muslim Brotherhood. The GMBDW will be watching for the inevitable reactions by the organizations named.
The UAE has been engaged of late in legal action against the Muslim Brotherhood inside the country. For a review of our coverage on the UAE and the Muslim Brotherhood, go here.