US Christian media is reporting on an interfaith conference featuring several individuals tied to the US Muslim Brotherhood. According to the article:
October 31, 2019 Hundreds of students are expected to attend a conference at Wheaton College aimed at helping evangelicals and Muslims to more effectively communicate and understand each other. The Neighborly Faith Conference will be held at Wheaton on Friday and Saturday, but is not being hosted or sponsored by the college. It will feature both evangelical and Muslim speakers. Kevin Singer, co-director of Neighborly Faith, told The Christian Post that while the organization has hosted smaller interfaith events, this will be their first larger scale conference, with 350 students and staff expected to attend. Singer provided The Christian Post with a press release about the conference which notes: “Christians are called to love all of their neighbors, yet 91% of evangelicals say their current friends are ‘mostly similar’ to them when it comes to religious beliefs. Perhaps this is why 62% of evangelicals recently reported anti-Muslim sentiment in their own communities. According to the Foundation for Ethnic Understanding, ‘Evangelical Christian and Muslim relations is the greatest interreligious challenge in America today.’”
Read the rest here.
According to the conference’s website, the scheduled speakers included:
- Shadi Hamid (A Brookings academic, previously an activist in the Muslim Student Association (MSA))
- Anwar Khan (President of Islamic Relief USA)
- Petra Alsoofy (Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU))
The Neighborly Faith organization, describing itself as “the trusted platform for bringing Evangelicals + Muslims together,” lists Omar Suleiman on its Contributors page. As we reported earlier today, Suleiman the founder of the Yaqeen Institute for Islamic Research (YIIR), was the leader of a prayer held as part of a US Muslim Brotherhood sponsored interfaith event held at the US- Mexican border. He is an Islamic scholar who has spoken at multiple joint conferences of the Muslim American Society (MAS) and the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA), both part of the US Muslim Brotherhood. Shadi Hamid and Anwar Khan are also listed as Neighborly Faith contributors as well as several other US Brotherhood figures including:
- Dalia Mogahed (ISPU, YIIR, family ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, protégé of John Esposito).
- Zainab Chaudry (Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR))
- Hatem Bazian (President of the American Muslims for Palestine, part of the US Hamas support infrastructure)
The GMBDW has long reported on interfaith activities engaged in by the US Muslim Brotherhood including:
- In November 2019 we reported on the “Pray Beyond Borders” event at the US-Mexico border.
- In December 2016 we reported on the launch of the “Muslim-Jewish Advisory Council” at a meeting convened by the American Jewish Committee and the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA).
- In June 2013 we reported on ISNA discussing its interfaith campaign with then Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
- In December 2012 we reported on ISNA and ISPU as well as the Muslim Public Affairs Council in connection with an interfaith document that deceptively described various aspects of the US Muslim Brotherhood.
- In March 2008 we reported on ISNA launching the “National Muslim-Christian Initiative in North America” along with the National Council of Churches and Episcopal Church USA.
- In December 2007 we reported on the “National Interreligious Leadership Initiative for Peace in the Middle East” which featured ICNA and ISNA members.
- In November 2007 we reported on an interfaith partnership against terrorism featuring the Fiqh Council of North America and ISNA.