The Reviving the Islamic Spirit Conference, held annually in Toronto, was held this year from December 27-29 2013 and as always featured an array of speakers tied to the Global Muslim Brotherhood. Speakers of interest included:
- Tariq Ramadan (Prominent leader in the Global Muslim Brotherhood)
- Amr Khaled (influential Egyptian tele-evangelist)
- Siraj Wahhaj (close to US Muslim Brotherhood and anunindicted co-conspirator in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing)
- John Esposito (Georgetown University academic and long time Muslim Brotherhood supporter)
- Jamal Badawi (prominent leader in the US Muslim Brotherhood)
- Dalia Mogahed (former Obama Administration Faith Advisor, close to US Muslim Brotherhood)
- Yasmin Mogahed (siter of Dahlia, active on the US Muslim Brotherhood speaking circuit)
The Point de Bascule blog reported that on Day 3 of the Convention Tariq Ramadan joined those who have been asking for PM Erdogan’s resignation since a corruption scandal came to light in Turkey: but later claimed that he was quoted “out of context.” The Point de Bascule blog also published excerpts from Ramadan’s lectures to this year’s Convention including his remarks on Youssef Qaradawi, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and other subjects.
Last December, the Point de Bascule blog published an article that looked at the origins of the RIS conventions and identified the World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY) as the original sponsor of the event.
As reported by the GMBDW in 2012 Canadian Liberal Party leadership candidate Justin Trudeau had defended his decision to speak at at the 2012 RIS convention in spite of the fact that one of the sponsors was a charity whose charity status had been revoked because of its funding of Hamas.