Dr. Salah Sultan has been tweeting during the day about accompanying Global Muslim Brotherhood leader Youssef Qaradawi on his trip to Gaza. For example, this tweet contains a picture of Dr. Sultan beaming a wide smile while walking just behind Qaradawi and Hamas Prime Minister Haniyeh and while wearing a scarf with what appears to be a picture of the Al-Aqsa Mosque. A post from earlier today reported that Qaradawi had arrived in Gaza today where he was greeted by the Hamas Prime Minister and called immediately for “Jihad to death” against Israel. A Middle East Monitor report confirms Dr. Sultan’s participation with a picture of him in attendance and what appear to be a ceremony in honor of the event (see pictures at the bottom of the page.)
Dr. Salah Sultan (aka Solah Sultan, Sallah Sultan) left the U.S. following negative press reports in the U.S. media about his extremist statements which led the authorities there to suspend his application for American citizenship. He relocated to Bahrain in 2007 where he was appointed as adviser to the head of the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs in that country. Dr Sultan’s online CV, since removed from the Internet, indicates that he is or was a member of several important US. and European Muslim Brotherhood organizations including the European Council for Fatwa and Research (ECFR), the Fiqh Council of North America (FCNA), and the Islamic American University (IAU) closely associated with the Muslim American Society (MAS).This resume also expressed Dr. Soltan’s vision “To live happily. To die as a martyr.” Dr. Sultan is also known to be a a prominent member of the International Union of Muslim Scholars (IUMS) headed by Global Muslim Brotherhood leader Youssef Qaradawi.
In October 2012, Dr. Sultan was appointed as Secretary General of the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (SCIF) attached to the Egyptian Ministry of Waqf. The appointment was made by the Minister Dr. Talaat Mohamed Afify Salem who has been described as a member of the Salafist movement in Egypt and as an “ally” of the Muslim Brotherhood. The Ministry of Waqf (Islamic Endowment) is reported to have influence over Al-Azhar, the country’s most important Islamic institution. In 2006, the Simon Wiesenthal Center complained about anti-Semitic and anti-Christian material appearing on the official SCIF website.
Dr. Sultan has a long history of making extremist and antisemitic statements. In perhaps his most egregious statement, during an April 2010 interview on a Hamas TV station he accused Jews of using Christian blood for Matzoh (substitute for bread used during the Jewish holiday of Passover) in an example of what is called “blood libel”, the accusations that Jews use human blood in religious rituals. (Historically these are accusations that the blood of Christian children is especially coveted and date back to the 1st Century.
Other examples of such statements include:
- A 2006 appearance on Saudi TV where he asserted that the US planned the 9/11 attacks as a pretext for terrorizing the world and praising Osama bin Laden confidante Abd Al-Majid Al-Zindani.
- A 2008 TV interview during which he cited the notorious Czarist forgery The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and predicted that the US ” will suffer economic stagnation, ruin, destruction, and crime, which will surpass what is happening in Gaza.”
- An August 2011 rally where he said it is permissible for any Egyptian to kill a Zionist met on Egyptian territory.
- An August 2011 Al Jazeera TV appearance in which he Issued a fatwa (religious ruling) on Aljazeera TV calling for the killing of the Israeli ambassador.
- Two sermons on Al-Aqsa TV during summer 2012 in which he said he has met people all over the world who “thirst for the blood of the Jews” and that Jews have entered Egypt in order to commit crimes including deliberately infecting Egyptian girls with AIDS.
- A February 2012 TV interview in which he cited the notorious anti-Semitic forgery the Protocols of the Elders of Zion as well as predicting the end of Israel and the United States.
- A January 2012 TV interview in which he called for young people to practice sports in order to prepare themselves for Jihad to liberate the Al-Aqsa Mosque.