Israeli media is reporting that Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood has held its first anti-Israel rally since coming to power. According to Haaretz report:
Associated Press | May.10, 2013 Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood staged an anti-Israel rally in Cairo on Friday, the first such protest by the main backers of President Mohammed Morsi since they rose to prominence in the wake of the country’s 2011 uprising.
Emerging from weekly services at Al-Azhar mosque — the centuries-old seat of Sunni Muslim learning — demonstrators chanted ‘the people want the destruction of Israel’ in protest of recent Israeli airstrikes in Syria and the detention of a Palestinian Muslim cleric.
At one point, leading Brotherhood member Mohammed el-Beltagy took the microphone and shouted: ‘We will repeat it over and over, Israel is our enemy.’ Others echoed the call, and one organizer whipped up the crowd in a chant urging the army to launch a war against Israel to ‘liberate Palestine … from the sons of monkeys and pigs.’
Since the revolt that deposed longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak, the Brotherhood — known for its anti-Israeli and anti-Western rhetoric — has largely avoided showing enmity to the West or its former foe on its eastern border.
Morsi himself has repeatedly stressed commitment to Egypt’s peace treaty with Israel, and won U.S. praise by brokering a cease-fire between Palestinian Hamas militants and the Jewish state just months after he assumed his post.
But both the Islamist president and his group have had a hard time melding their longtime anti-Jewish stance with new responsibilities since coming to power.”
Read the rest here.
The GMBDW wonders about the timing considering Global Muslim Brotherhood Youssef Qaradawi leader has just made his first visit to Gaza since the Hamas government there took power and immediately called for Jihad against Israel.
In September, Secure America Now (SAN) released a report called “The Truth about Mohammed Morsi” which detailed extremist statements as well as other information about the Egyptian president who emerged from the ranks of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood. The report begins with an introduction summarizing Dr. Morsi’s statements statements and views:
- “Resistance is the correct and only way to free the land from the filth of the Jews”
- His words are reflective of his contempt for Jews, The United States, and the State of Israel.
- Dr. Morsi joined the Muslim Brotherhood while living in the United States
- Two of his sons were arrested at anti-Israel, anti-United States demonstrations in Egypt
- Dr. Morsi has repeatedly denounced Egypt’s treaty with Israel.
- Dr. Morsi is an unabashed supporter of Hamas
- Dr. Morsi believes the 9/11 terrorists have not been identified.
- Dr. Morsi has repeatedly defended the Sudanese President al-Bashir who has committed genocide against the people in Darfur.
- Dr. Morsi has pledged to work for the release of Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman, a militant Islamist preacher imprisoned in the United States for planning the 1993 World Trade Center bombing
The SAN report says that in 2004, Dr. Morsi said that the “Quran has established that the Jews are the ones in the highest degree of enmity towards Muslims” and that “there is no peace with the descendants of the apes and pigs”.
Read the rest here.