Pakistani media have reported on a 3-day Islamic conference held in late October in Lahore that brought together leaders of the Pakistani Islamist group Jamaat–e-Islami (JEI) with leaders in the global Muslim Brotherhood, closely allied to JEI. According to various reports, the following persons of interest were in attendance:
- Qazi Hussain Ahmad (head of JEI)
- Khurshid Ahmad (JEI leader, head of the U.K Islamic Foundation)
- Nusrat Ali (Head of JEI India)
- Syed Salahuddin (Supreme Commander Hizbul Mujahideen, a Kashmiri terrorist group associated with JEI )
- Hameed Gul (former Pakistani intelligence chief)
- Saidul Qatatni (envoy of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood)
- Faisal Mawlawi (head of Lebanese Muslim Brotherhood, Deputy Head of European Council for Fatwa and Research)
- Rachid Al-Ghannoushi (well-known Tunisian Islamist living in London)
- Abdul Hadi Awang (President of Malaysian PAS Islamic party)
- Mohamed Ali Taskhiri (Iranian Shia scholar, member of International Union of Muslim Scholars headed by Youssef Qaradawi)
- Yvonne Ridley (British journalist and Islamic convert)
Dr A.Q. Khan, the infamous Pakistani nuclear scientist and key figure in a clandestine international network of nuclear weapons technology proliferation, was reported to have said in a special message, said that he wanted to attend the confrerence in person but the government did not allow him to do so.
The following are reported comments by some of the above speakers reflecting common Muslim Brotherhood anti-American and anti-Semitic themes but also reflecting unusual public statements establishing Islamic rule over the world:
- Qazi Husain Ahmed has alleged that the army is on way to disintegrate the country to accomplish “the US agenda” in the region. …. the army operation in the tribal areas was being carried out to pave a way for disintegration of the country through a separatist movement there. “The operation was launched in the name of nabbing a few terrorists,” the JI leader said. “But not a single terrorist has so far been arrested or presented before the media while hundreds of ordinary citizens are being killed daily there to create animosity among the tribesmen against the country.”
- Hameed Gul said the key to Kashmir’s freedom lied in Afghanistan. The US was retreating from Afghanistan and Iraq, and once they pulled out of Afghanistan, Kashmiris’ freedom struggle would meet its logical end while Pakistan would also be liberated from the American yoke, he said. He claimed “the US war on terror was aimed at disintegrating Pakistan”
- Hammam Saeed, said: “The freedom of Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem is the dream of every Muslim. To materialize this dream, it is essential for everyone to play his role to foil international conspiracies…: “I have arrived here from Jordan to tell you that right now Jews are using all their energies for constructing the King Solomon`s temple at the place of Al-Aqsa Mosque by hook or by crook.” … “The liberation of Al-Aqsa Mosque from Israeli occupation is only possible when Pakistanis will play their role in this regard. The Muslim leadership will have to come forward to get rid of the dominance of Israel, including other oppressors.”
- Saidul Qatatni said that it was a welcome move on the part of the JI that it was conducting congregation at the time when Islam was besieged from all directions. He said that it was the land from where Islam will dominate all over the world. However, to accomplish this task of inviting others to join the religion requires much struggle and drive.
- Mohamed Ali Taskhiri, envoy of Iranian President Ahmadinezhad, said: “The economic crisis is adding to the difficulties of the West, which is a proof of its failed policies. This arrogance of the West in leading the world is quite erroneous. Their assertion of providing solution to the world`s problems is quite mistaken. Only Islam can lead the world. We should create unity among our ranks by offering prayers and patience, which will lead us to success.”
- Rashid Al-Ghanushi of Tunisia said: “Islam has a complete code of life applicable for all times, in which jihad has been made obligatory, following its establishment in the world to eradicate preexisting repression. As Muslims, it is our responsibility to struggle for the establishment of an Islamic system. The Muslim umma is facing problems due to the follies committed by our rulers. However, it has never been our policy to resort to violence and repression to find a solution.”
The JEI was founded in 1941 and is Pakistan’s oldest religious party. The party had it’s origins in the thoughts of Maulana Sayyid Abul A’la Maududi (1903-79), the most important Islamist intellectual in the history of Southeast Asia. Maududi was also a major influence on the global Muslim Brotherhood with whom the JEI has long enjoyed close relations. In the United States, the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) is generally considered to represent the JEI.
“Jews Are After the Martyrdom of Qibla-e-Awwal; Muslims Should Realize International Conspiracies” Jasarat November 25, 2008 Urdu daily owned by Jamaat-e Islami; reprinted at http://www.biyokulule.com/view_content.php?articleid=1593)