Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood Leader Says Group Not Going Anywhere And Not Involved In Violence


The leader of the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood has issued a press release denying claims in Egyptian media that the Brotherhood is either relocating to another country or involved in violent activities. According to a report in the Islamist Middle East Monitor

3543827_370April 26, 2014 Secretary General of the Muslim Brotherhood Mahmoud Hussein refuted claims by Egyptian media that the group has relocated to a particular country or that it carries out activities which contradict with its core principles of non-violent resistance.

In a press release Friday, Hussein reiterated that affiliates of the Muslim Brotherhood “are keen on the security and safety of countries where they reside, in the same way they care about Egypt’s security and safety.”

He also reaffirmed the non-violent approach of the Muslim Brotherhood: “The Brotherhood, since its establishment, rejects and condemns violence. Members of the group have never resorted to armed struggle except against foreign occupation.”

Moreover, Hussein stressed that the Muslim Brotherhood has consistently adhered to peaceful means of opposition to the repression it faced by respective governments.

He added that past events that took place during foreign occupation of Egypt “should not be taken out of their contexts”. The group, he stressed, prides itself on its resistance of foreign occupation of Egypt, and “considers it a national duty for every Egyptian.”

Read the rest here.

The GMBDW reported earlier this month that according to Egyptian media, the headquarters of the International Organization of the Muslim Brotherhood was planning to move to Graz, Austria. A senior Brotherhood leader in London later denied the story and the Austrian national police directorate responsible for Graz said “there is a rumor” but that they had “no confirmation or information that something is up.”

Comments are closed.