ICC Turns Down Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood Request For Probe Of Military


French media is reporting that the International Criminal Court has rejected a bid by the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood to investigate the military’s actions in Egypt. According to the AFP report:

May 1, 2014 The Hague (AFP) – The International Criminal Court said on Thursday it had rejected a bid by the Muslim Brotherhood of deposed president Mohamed Morsi to probe the military’s alleged crimes against humanity in Egypt.

A communication seeking to accept the jurisdiction of the ICC over Egypt has been dismissed as not presented on behalf of the concerned State,’ the ICC said in a statement.

The request had been made on behalf of the Freedom and Justice Party of former Islamist president Morsi, ousted by Egypt’s powerful military in July in what his supporters say was a coup.

The Brotherhood in December filed a complaint with the ICC seeking an investigation of alleged crimes against humanity committed since June 2013.

A crackdown targeting Mori’s supporters since July has left more than 1,400 people dead and 15,000 in jail.

The complaint included alleged evidence of murder, unlawful imprisonment, torture, persecution against an identifiable group and enforced disappearance of persons.

It also included claims of targeted shootings and bulldozers running demonstrators over.

Read the rest here.

In October 2010, the GMBDW reported that a Muslim Brotherhood front group had plans to submit a complaint to the International Criminal Court (ICC) regarding the June 2010 Gaza flotilla. In May 2013, The ICC prosecutor said  she would open a preliminary examination into the events surrounding the flotilla. However, few preliminary examinations lead to full investigations by the ICC and no further action is known to have been taken.

Comments are closed.