The Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood has issued a statement praising the election of Recep Tayyip Erdogan as Turkish President. The statement begins:
August 12, 2014 The Muslim Brotherhood congratulates the Turkish people on the presidential election, which resulted in the victory of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after the first round. This win is significant in many ways:
– The elections were fair and transparent, competitive and democratic. President Erdogan won by 53% of the vote. This winning percentage is common in all established democratic states, and shows respect for ideological and political pluralism.
– Erdogan’s victory is the fruit of great endeavors made by him and his party, with which they pulled Turkey up from the bottom of the list of developed countries to the seventeenth most powerful economy in the world.
– Their success was a result of distancing the army from politics, and putting an end to military coups which led to backwardness and ruled Turkey as a dictatorship, killing, arresting and corrupting people. So, they rid themselves of that cancer and ruled by the principles of freedom, democracy and dignity that brought them to what they have achieved today.
Read the rest here.
August 11, 2014 Hamas’ senior official, Izzat al-Risheq, said that his movement salutes Erdogan for his policies in support of the Palestinian issue. From our heart and with all our love we congratulate Erdogan for his victory in the presidential election,” al-Risheq said. “This is a victory for Jerusalem, Gaza and Ramallah. All Palestine welcomes this victory.” Another Hamas official, Ahmed Bahr, hailed the election of Erdogan as a victory for the “free and oppressed peoples and a defeat for forces of repression and American-Zionist arrogance.”
A 2011 report report authored by the GMBDW editor examined the role of the Global Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas in the background leading to the June 2010 Gaza Flotilla that was involved in a violent altercation with Israeli naval forces. Some of the conclusions of that reported included:
- There is strong evidence for Turkish governmental involvement in the Gaza flotilla incident, with Turkish government support channeled through the Turkish Muslim Brotherhood network. Since 2006, Turkey has become a new center for the Global Muslim Brotherhood. The IHH was not acting alone but rather was an integral part of a Turkish Muslim Brotherhood network.
- The Gaza flotilla incident brought into sharp focus an even more significant long- term development: the growing relationship between the Erdogan government and the Global Muslim Brotherhood, which has given rise to some of the most notorious Islamist terrorist groups – from al-Qaeda to Hamas. Since 2006, Turkey has become a new center for the Global Muslim Brotherhood, while the Hamas regime in the Gaza Strip acted as the main axis for this activity.
- Although IHH declared that the flotilla was humanitarian in nature, the history of IHH suggests that it is not only a humanitarian organization…..Aside from these terrorist connections, this report demonstrates that IHH and the rest of the Turkish/MB network are in fact Islamist, politicized organizations.
We reported last month that the Istanbul-based Foundation for Human Rights and Freedoms and Humanitarian Relief (IHH), the lead organization for the first flotilla, is organizing a second Gaza Flotilla.