The Saudi Muslim World League (MWL) has issued a statement calling recent Israeli military actions in Gaza a “bloody massacre.” According to Western news reports, Israeli forces entered Gaza on January 15 and began leveling makeshift structures and agricultural fields, from which militants had been firing rockets into Israel. Israeli spokesmen said they were fired on by Palestinians using mortars and semi-automatic fire and the Israeli forces responded with air strikes. Unidentified hospital officials were cited as saying that nearly all the dead were militants, most of them members of Hamas’ armed wing, but a 67-year-old civilian bystander was also among those killed. Among the Palestinian dead was the son of 62-year-old Mahmoud al- Zahar, a senior Hamas official Mahmoud al-Zahar’s son Hussam, 23, was taking part in Tuesday’s fighting when killed, according to residents said. According to the MWL website:
His Excellency Dr. Abdullah bin Abdul Mohsen Turkish, Secretary General of the Muslim World League asked “Why do Israeli forces carry out horrific massacres of the innocent people of Palestine contrary to international resolutions issued by the United Nations and the Security Council, as it goes against the desire of the international community and the efforts the efforts to achieve security and peace for the peoples of humanity. He regretted the inability of the international institutions to prevent Israel from committing bloody massacres and to deter the violations of international law including the siege of the people of Palestine, Israel aggressive raids, and the killing of his sons, all contrary to international law.
The Muslim World League was established in 1962 as a means for the propagation of Saudi “Wahabbi” Islam. Muslim Brothers played an important role in its founding and, to date, the League has been strongly associated with the Brotherhood.
(Note: Arabic language source, machine translated)